Tuesday, March 11, 2014

40 Bags in 40 Days

In years past, I've seen this challenge.  I never participated because I've always been swamped with 40,000 other things to do.  But this year it really seemed like a great idea.

So far I've gotten rid of a ton of stuff whether it's gotten thrown out or donated (I have 4 bags ready to go but they aren't picking up until April 2).  I still feel like I'm a long way off but I'm determined to scale down our "stuff".

Some days LOTS of stuff leaves the building (like today) and other days it's only a few small items but everything helps!

I don't have a set schedule of rooms or items I want to tackle.  I organize whatever speaks to me that day and sometimes it takes on a life of its own.  For example, today I started in the coat closet in the foyer.  There were at least 12 phone books in there.  We don't need that many outdated phone books (will be recycled).  That went to hat/scarf organizing, getting rid of old cell phones (those will be donated) and then I took something down to the basement and the pantry ended up getting revamped.

I look forward to each new day to see what we will be reorganizing/cleaning out that day.  It's becoming fun and I hope I can get this house semi-organized by the end of Lent.

The only issue that I'm having is that my regular cleaning is suffering.  I'm a bit behind on dusting and I was hoping to start spring cleaning but at this point I'm still organizing.  There's no point in cleaning around the clutter.

Interested in 40 bags in 40 days?  It's not too late to join in.  You can start this post on White House Black Shutters.

I really should be taking pictures as I go, but I haven't.  My closet looks amazing compared to what it looked like.  Just getting rid of the maternity clothes that I haven't worn in 2 years has made a BIG difference.

2 comments:

Liz said...

I'm do this, this year, too! I can't believe how excited I am to get thought this 40 days! I started on Ash Wednesday - so I'm on day 6 today... motivation is strong! I did write out my list of 40 areas. But I'm letting myself choose which area I feel inclined to organize - not in order - each day.

Good luck to you!!!!

ChupieandJ'smama (Janeen) said...

Good Luck to you too Liz! And I'm glad we are both finding this fun and exciting :) I hope I can keep up the enthusiasm year round.