Even when you try your hardest to do everything to keep your child safe, sometimes crap happens.
Last weekend Hubs took the older boys to a Cub Scout Winter Fest. We knew the food for the day was hot dogs and soup. And they always serve hot chocolate. We packed safe hot dogs for the little man and brought his own hot chocolate, a special cup and a burner to heat the water on.
Everything was going fine. The boys were playing Tug O War. And Hubs stepped away for a moment to use the bathroom and to call me (5 minute phone call). When he returned the boys were no longer playing Tug O War. They were hitting each other with white socks. At first Hubs thought they had snow balls in the socks and advised our boys not to hit anyone because someone could get hurt. Then he saw the Little Man take a whack at his brother. As the sock hit Older Boy a "white poof" came out of the sock. He turned to the person next to him and asked what was in the sock. Turns out it was flour. Poor Hubs freaked out.
Why flour? I have no idea. What was the purpose of this exercise? I have no idea. Did both boys KNOW that there was flour in there? Yes they did. I'm not sure if it didn't register with them, or if they just ignored it so they could take part in the activity and not be left out. Note to self: These boys can't be trusted to make good decisions when left on their own.
Luckily the Little Man didn't have a severe reaction. Hubs rushed him to the car, made him take off his outer layer of clothes and rushed him home. When he got here his eyes were beet red (looked kind of like a demon). I searched him for hives and there were none. I asked him about his breathing and he said it was fine. I gave him Benadryl and made him take a shower. Other than the eyes, I didn't see any other allergic reaction signs. But I still wonder if I should have used the Epi Pen anyway. It took 20 minutes for the Benadryl to work and for his eyes to go back to normal.
Hubs felt bad. He felt like he shouldn't have left. But if you gotta go, you gotta go. And everything SEEMED under control. No food is typically used in activities at this event. We've been there before. But this a district event and includes different packs in the area. So even though our pack understand about the Little Man's allergies, the others would have no idea. To me, this is a flaw for the Cub Scouts. Every event should require a health form for each boy. Whether it's food allergies, asthma, diabetes or something else. It should really be noted. Of course that's just my opinion but to me it makes sense.
So luckily the Little Man dodged a severe reaction. It could have been a whole lot worse. And Hubs learned that just because things seem safe, they aren't always. And I hope the district learned that they can't use food in activities.