Monday, February 14, 2011

Showing The Love & A Contest

It's Valentine's Day, the day of love.

الحب, Liefde, l'amour, amore, el amor, αγάπη, אהבה, miłość, LOVE

Have you seen the trailer of Allergic Girl's new book? If you haven't, you need to check it out (if you have, it's so cute, it won't hurt to see it again). You can find the trailer here.

In one part of the trailer, Allergic Girl says that she wrote the book for "Food allergic people and those that love us".

The trailer shows Allergic Girl explaining her food allergies to her date. My son is only six years old. He's a little young to date (although he's had a "fiancée" since he was 2 years old). I'm talking about a different kind of love today.

My son feels the love when he is included. This could be something small like when a classmates mom brings in a baggy full of Hershey Kisses for him when the other kids are having cookies. Or it could be something larger like when family friends go out of their way to buy safe snacks and prepare a safe dinner so that when they invite us over for a dinner party, we can all eat the same foods....safely.

Friends of ours have children the same age as mine. Their son is one day younger than my oldest and their daughter (who happens to the Little Man's "fiancée") is 10 days younger than the Little Man. They are lovely people and they go above and beyond to show him the love. Neither of their children have food allergies, but they have both been trained on how to use the Epi Pen and have tried to learn what it takes to keep my son safe. I feel more than comfortable with my son going to their home without me. They have also gone out of their way to find out what safe foods he can eat and how to prepare those foods and snacks for him whenever we are there. The mom will call me in advance of any dinner party or birthday party to double check brands to make sure nothing has changed or to double check food prep to make sure that I am comfortable with what she is doing. I know the Little Man appreciates the extra steps that they take to keep him safe and include him so that he can enjoy himself and be completely included in the celebrations. I appreciate it to. He's not the only one that feels the love. And I hope that our friends know that the love is returned to them, tenfold.

And to show some love to my blog readers, leave a comment with your positive love story and at the end of the week (February 18th) I will pick one lucky winner via random.org. The lucky winner will receive a copy of Allergic Girls new book Allergic Girl: Adventures in Living Well With Food Allergies . Whether you have food allergies or love someone who does, leave your comment for a chance to win.

For more on the book visit:

Allergic Girl: Adventures in Living Well With Food Allergies
Watch the Allergic Girl trailer


Read Please Don't Pass The Nuts, Allergic Girl's Blog
Follow Allergic Girl on Twitter
Find Allergic Girl on Facebook


8 comments:

PEA said...

Happy Valentine's Day, dear Janeen:-) Make sure you come over to pick up your Valentine!!

That's what I call wonderful and caring friends. Not too many people would "go out of their way" to make sure a person with severe allergies is safe but it's good to know that there are a few out there:-) xoxo

KatieEGriffin said...

My fiance has willingly switched to all bread and pasta in our house being gluten free. I know it doesn't taste the same but whether he's pretending to like it for my sake or really doesn't care, his willingness to switch his diet for me has been amazing...and that's love!

allergy mama said...

What a great friend you have!
I have a similar friend who insisted on having a list of safe snacks she could keep in her house especially for my allergic daughter. I know that she has a tight grocery budget, but she insisted that our allergy friendly snacks were a must-have in her grocery list! This is so powerfully touching to me, and my daughter feels so loved and cared for because of this extra step.

Anonymous said...

Janeen,

I wish I knew someone whose child had food allergies so I could enter to win, but I think these beautiful three ladies sound like they need it more!

I love that you are sharing the love and giving hope and encouragment to other mommas!

~Chandra

April said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
April said...

My son Will now only has nut allergies. Your site sooo rings true. My biggest love story is that my sister, even though her and her family LOVE to eat nuts all time, actually have no nuts in their home and never eat them there. That way whenever we are there I never have to worry about Will. It means too that outside of my home he has one more safe place to stay in case we want a night off from parenting. That is such an amazing gesture of love. It blesses me soooo greatly!
Anyway, I would love to read Allergic Girl's new book!

SarahB said...

My little boy has a long list of food allergies. One of the sweetest things is that my daughters, his sisters, now both insist they don't like and refuse to eat peanut butter, even though before we know about his peanut allergy they loved peanut butter. My 6yo has told me when her friends bring peanut butter for lunch she doesn't sit next to them in the cafeteria just to make sure she doesn't get any on her that her little brother might touch.

food allergies said...

These are some important allergy symptoms. You should remember that if you know the symptoms of allergy then you can treat it better. If you don’t know the symptoms of allergy then obiuvisly you can’t treat this and from this reason your allergy becomes your disease and then you will have to treat this at high scale. So know the symptoms of allergies.
Food allergy is also one kind of allergies this is may cause:
• Tingling mouth
• Swelling of the lips, tongue, face or throat
• Hives
• Anaphylaxis
Allergies are due to an overactive immune system and are universally recognized as an inappropriate immune system response that is out of proportion to the offending allergen. Food allergies are also unhelpfully classed as a psychosomatic illness by western doctors.