Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Trick Or Treat

At the age of 3, most children don't understand the meaning behind the saying "Trick or Treat" although the Little Man does think that it's funny to add "Smell my feet, and smell my feet again" (for some reason he finds it funny for people to smell his feet twice). If the Little Man did understand the meaning of "Trick or Treat" our entire neighborhood would be covered in T.P. and I'd be making another run to Sams Club. He really can't eat most (if not all) of the candy he receives on Halloween. Other than things like Laffy Taffy, Nerds, and Dum Dum suckers there isn't a lot of safe candy for him. And lets face it, the things he can eat are the candy that most people throw out in April when it's still left in their cabinets.
In years past, I put together safe treat bags for him and handed them out to neighbors that we were close with so that when he got home he could eat something out of his bag, but the two families who would do this for me have moved.
But last week we went to buy his safe candy so this year he can trade in the candy he can't eat for things that are safe. I haven't found a commercial chocolate that is safe for his allergies, but luckily we have Chocolate Emporium. Chocolate Emporium is a kosher candy store that because of the high demand for dairy free chocolate by food allergic people, now sells gluten free, dairy free, egg free, nut free chocolate.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
(pictured: white chocolate chips, gummy bears (that the Little Man calls gummy rabbits), chocolate foil pumpkins, chocolate candy bars, white chocolate mummys, various chocolate suckers in Halloween shapes)
You can check out the selection on line and then call and order. The staff is knowledgeable about what they sell and they can explain manufacturing processes and cleaning practices so you can make sure that you feel comfortable with their product. But keep in mind that they are a "candy store" and not an allergist. While I was there someone had called to see if their child would react to the soy lecithin in the candy. You need to know how you will react to the ingredients before you call. The staff is great, but they can't diagnose you over the phone.

The staff here is wonderful and very helpful. I highly recommend Chocolate Emporium.

5 comments:

Org Junkie said...

Oh wow I should have been more on the ball!

Looks awesome!!!

Laura

PEA said...

You really have been opening my eyes to the problems of having allergies to foods...I never thought of the Halloween candy! Thank goodness for places like the Chocolate Emporium where you can buy safe candy for the little man!! xox

Sue said...

I should be getting my Chocolate Emporium chocolate this week. My Mom also ordered some things for the girls. I got my "cheap" candy to give out to trick-or-treaters. Twizzlers, etc that are safe to have in the house. So we're all set for the Big Day. :)

Michelle said...

that's great there is a store like that, not only do they provide the safe chocolate, but seem to be very knowledgeable too - can't always find that!

surefoodsliving said...

Looks great...
But how is white chocolate dairy-free? I didn't think there was such thing!
Thanks
Alison